Thursday, January 24, 2008

Getting Started

This is somewhat like the beginning of an owner's manual, and yet rather opposite. This is my exploration into the idea and action of getting started (not someone else's instructions and guidance for me as I do). I have contemplated this idea for a while. For me, being able to learn about and enjoy other people's lives and ideas is more fun than having attention drawn my way--most days anyway.

I think a few things have pushed me to get started.
1. This is one way to record things that I would like to remember.
2. My family and I have often been blessed by the actions, words, and kindnesses of others. I guess in some small measure, I hope to share some of those things as an expression of my gratitude to them.
3. As I recently read (refer to #2), a blog is also a chance approach my life/home/family in a way that I would look forward to share that with others--give myself added motivation to strive to be better each day and in each interaction.
4. I am finding that as I strive to record/verbalize my thoughts, it makes them more concrete in my own mind.

I have been reflecting much on the blessings I have this past month or so. Because I want to solidify them and remember them (#4, #1), I'm going to explore them a bit here.

I have a wonderful family. My handsome husband works hard to support our family and provide for us in many ways. He is a great example of developing friendships, working well with others, enjoying fun times, and compassion. He is a wonderful father to our wonderful, handful, heartful children. It is so very fun to watch their excitement at seeing him come home at the end of the day, exclaiming, "Daddy!" These children have a love for learning, people, and fun--much like he does. I have watched them grow over the last (almost) 10 years, and every thrice in a while or so, it makes me really pause when I catch some glimpse of who they are now that seems so much more than I had realized/been ready for/understood.

I have wonderful family. We were able to spend Christmas break visiting our families that are in Arizona, and I feel so grateful to be connected to such wonderful people. The heritage that I am privileged to share contains so many wonderful examples of service, love, patience, work, compassion, understanding, and so on and so on. In the moments I feel below my challenges, it is often something I have heard or seen in these circles that brings the understanding I need to find the solutions I seek.

I have wonderful friends. Before leaving for our Christmas vacation, I had arranged with one friend to allow Santa entrance while we were gone. When we came back, we found that Santa had many generous friends, and our hearts were filled to overflowing. Some of the chores, shopping, and projects that I had not managed to get to before leaving were done, and so very much more. I cannot directly tell them 'Thank you', but try to live that thanks as I continue on from this point. As I put up our Christmas decorations, I enjoyed reflecting on how many friends we have in so many places, and what a strength that is to our family. After living in Mesa, Wymount (Utah), and now in Missouri, we find that we have friends across the U.S., and even in other countries now. Much like I mentioned about family, the examples so very, very many of you have been in our lives blesses us both in the good times, and the difficult.

Another blessing in my life is a knowledge that my Heavenly Father loves me. I have often felt whispered reminders of that love as I make my way through challenges, watch the eyes of my children, see loving interactions between other people, and in so many, many other facets of my life. I have seen how his plan for his children has blessed my life, helping me avoid many problems, and helping me to find joy throughout my life. I am struck with awe when I think of the gift he gave and what that means to me. I know he has given me the blessings that I have, and I am grateful to be his daughter, as well as a wife, mother, sister, daughter, cousin, aunt, friend, and/or neighbor to so many wonderful people.

To explain my title, or because it sums up these thoughts--I was listening this week to one of the talks from last October's General Conference, and Elder Michael Teh shared how his family, friends, and leaders encouraged, challenged, and prayed for him. I felt that his comments very much applied to how I am feeling, even as he said: "Even today, I am still carried on the shoulders of good men and women. I suspect that we all are. To some degree we all depend on each other to be able to make it back to our heavenly home."
To all of you who have shared your shoulders, Thank you!!!

No comments: