Saturday, August 9, 2008

Olympics

For as long as I can remember, I have enjoyed watching Olympians perform. In winter , my favorite was the ice skating, and summers, I really enjoyed the gymnastics. Yesterday, I was able to watch the women's gymnastics practice. The boys watched parts of it with me, and I really enjoyed that. I, to the extent of my ability, fielded questions about scoring and how gymnastics works. I saw yesterday that I will have to learn a new system, but in the process of our discussion, Joseph brought up something about Nadia Comaneci and was excited to share that she was the first gymnast to get a perfect 10. The question came up: Did I watch her get her perfect 10? I wasn't sure, so we looked it up. Depending on whether my mom had the television on for it, it's possible. It was the first summer after I was born.

However, more fun is that the last couple of days, we've had some of our own 'olympic events'. We went swimming as a family last night, and Joseph was a good sport and did 'synchronized swimming' with me. The next event was the cannonball competition. Louisa won the shivering competition hands down! Today we've had some short dashes--forward, backward and sideways. I'm looking forward to some more fun events in the next week or so! It's added some fun back in that I'd forgotten to include for the past weeks. Yea for the Olympics!

3 comments:

Jean said...

I love the Olympics too!! We really enjoyed the opening ceremonies last night, and we've been watching events on and off all day today. That's a great idea to incorporate the "mini-Olympics" into your family time!! How cool!

Ryan and Lori said...

We also enjoyed watching a little last night...I'm disappointed to hear that we missed some of the women's gymnastics. Since watching some of the men's however, Cal has been running around doing his own Olymic "tricks" and we've enjoyed watching. ;O) It's fun to hear about your added fun!

Millie Motts said...

I've been watching some, too. Does that make it "synchronized viewing"? ;)

The YW laughed at me when I told them that I stayed up LATE just to watch Michael Phelps. They reminded me it was only 9pm. :)