Thursday, October 9, 2008
Tender hearts
This morning, as I was in my room getting ready for the day, I chilled at the sound of a wail coming from the front room where I had left L. quietly watching the video Milo and Otis. My mind quickly wondered how she could have gotten hurt. She had been sitting on her pillow, there really wasn't anything in the room that would promote injury (although she has been known to find a way--as taught by her brothers). I hurried in, finding great drops falling from her eyes as she bemoaned the separation of the friends, Milo and Otis, as Milo, captive in a box, was drawn down the river as the water carried him further and further away from their 'child'hood home. Her deep sadness drew my arms around her and we cuddled together and waited for the friends to be reunited. All was again bliss as they began to journey home. However, drawn apart as they began their own families--and thus separated paths home, the tears began anew. Grief struck my little girls heart, not to be fully comforted again, even when the kittens met the puppies. I had thought this a cute children's movie safe for captivating her focus while I got ready for the day. Instead, it captivated her heart, and while I don't think I can let her watch it again on her own, it led me to think about the greatness of her tender heart. She seemed drawn to these animals, to care about what happened to them. In a very similar way, she is drawn to those in her family (and others). She is quick to approach an injured brother to offer the needed, comforting hug. She frequently asks where 'her boys' are, and where her 'handsome daddy' has gone. Her love is amazing, I'm the lucky mother that gets to bask in it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Aww, that is so sweet! I think it's wonderful that she's such a loving, sensitive child - she'll definitely be a loving, caring adult. (Although there will be those moments when she'll need lots of comforting!) I was sort of that way when I was little - I could never watch a movie with animals, because something bad always happened to the animals, and it made me so sad!! Those kid movies are rough sometimes! :-)
Those moments make mothering all worth it! It's so wonderful to hear of her great love and what a blessing that is to her immediate family and beyond!
Post a Comment