This morning, I missed my daughter. She wasn't far away, just sleeping in her room. She'd been sick last night, and I was glad she was able to sleep through the 'chaos' of the getting-ready-for-school routine. However, I missed her this morning as I waved good-bye to the last group to head out. I thought of her as the car starting backing out. Yesterday, at that point in the routine, she had instructed me to start waving, and showed me how. The love she has for her brothers and daddy are always evident to me as I stand with her telling them good-bye. As I stood on my own to wave, it just wasn't the same. The news often carries some story or another about a family losing a child, and I have contemplated at times how that kind of thing would affect me. I am grateful for the chance I had this morning to realize how much emptiness there would be--with the assurance that it was temporary. She's doing much better now, and the energy that exceeds mine is easier to enjoy, or at least to work with. Another benefit of this experience was watching her just-older brother jump in to care for her needs. He would frequently jump and run for a small drink or a rag or some other thing to help care for her needs. When he needed to cough, he crossed the room so that he wouldn't get his germs to her. I think she's followed his example too: when she woke up and I was talking with her about sleeping in while the boys were all getting ready for school, she mentioned it was because she didn't want to get those other kids at school sick.
What a lucky mom I am, able to be here and enjoy my children as they work together and show love for each of their family members!
Friday, December 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a sweet thought. It's true, even if our kids drive us crazy, they are so precious and we would miss their little personalities so much! I hope she's feeling better!
I am definitely a much more patient mother (with a bigger perspective) when I've had even an hour's break from the mayhem. Crazy that I miss my 'buddies' even when I get a rare trip to the store by myself.
Sorry to hear that in this case it was due to illness and so glad to hear they are all doing better! What a sweetheart she is (and each of them are)!
Post a Comment