Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Packing it in

Back around 4 to 6 months ago, I outlined upcoming events and what I wanted to do to be prepared for them. Then I took to preparing for them about one at a time. There was General Conference along with Daniel's Birthday. A week later I could be ready for family to visit for his baptism, then Thanksgiving followed by Christmas and then I would have time afterward to get ready for a new baby. It would all work out so well, because we had planned it out and prepared. Somewhere in there, (we were hoping Novemberish) we would fit in finding and moving into a house.

And so the preparations began. I planned the tasks for each event and worked to accomplish them. While I didn't do as well as I hoped, I did better than I usually do, and felt pretty good about it. We started looking at houses in the meantime, and I felt like we should find something fairly soon--after all, there was the economy....

The events I had been preparing for got crossed off the list one by one (except for the family visit and baptism which I knew would come at the same time), but the house didn't seem to want to be found. We kept looking and got to the point that we were beginning Christmas time preparations. And then we found it. The house would work well. We took time from the Christmas preparations to research the neighborhood (call friends, talk to the neighbors, ask about the school). We put in an offer and tried to continue our Christmas preparations and traditions while waiting to hear back. Then came the negotiation game and we were excited to get a verbal acceptance. After a week of waiting for their signatures, the message came back: the paperwork was not in order, you need to do it this way.

Take 2. Paperwork redone, and we're on our way again. Signatures are on their way. We schedule the inspection. But when will the papers come? We cancel the inspection Christmas Eve--no papers have come. Christmas was thoroughly enjoyed with all its wondrousness and joy--with children enjoying their goodies and each other and time together as a family. But I wondered...

Then the papers came. It was time to begin and go forth. Now. Reschedule the inspections, research lenders, find insurance, figure out which companies to use, go to the inspections. And now the inspections are done, we are working on getting financing paperwork done and preparing for a move and beginning to pack, a new question formed: Which will come first the closing or the baby? They're both due the same day. These two events were not supposed to coincide. That wasn't the plan. Or at least, it wasn't my plan. They're both things we're excited about, but we planned for them one at a time. However, here we are, and we're packing it in. Closing on a house, preparing for a move and preparing for a new baby. All together at the same time. I may be a little crazy, especially once we're through with this. I'm holding out some hope that closing can come a little early and the baby can come a little late (not a lot late) and that I can do this. Thank goodness for good friends, good children, a wonderful husband, and other tender mercies of the Lord. Thank goodness that I have had experiences in my life that teaches me that God can help me accomplish what is put in my path if I trust in him and follow the teachings he has given me.

Hopefully, we'll be able to move past this stage of planning soon. My next goals are to simply survive. Okay, and make the transitions that naturally come with a move and an addition.

Then perhaps I can set some more goals for one-at-a-time work. ;)

We're still working on the name for our baby. The house is a fun 4BR/2.5BA property not very far from where we live now and 2 of the 3 school-aged children will get to change schools. We'll post more details as things become more settled.

4 comments:

Becca Bingham said...

Good luck with the baby and the move! I cannot image having to move a whole house with four kids and being 9 months pregnant. I just finished unpacking my 2 bedroom apartment with one child! Good luck!

hilary w said...

Wow...you have a lot on your plate! You certainly have amazing faith that everything will work out. I'm sure it will and in 6 months you'll be able to look back at it all and say you did it! Good luck!

The Lemmon's said...

Good luck! That doesn't sound fun, but I know you will do great and everything will work out. I know you know that too... your faith is inspiring. Keep us posted on the upcoming excitements!!

Ryan and Lori said...

Woo. Your goal to survive sounds like a well-placed one. It's amazing how things work out in the Lord's timing. We're excited for you both for the home and this new baby!