Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Chance to Speak

I had a chance to speak this past Sunday. Preparing for it gave me some wonderful experiences on my own and with my family. I feel like I received much help in what came together for it. This is (close to) what I shared:

Once upon a time in a small branch in the panhandle of Texas, there lived a mother of young children who wanted to listen to the messages of General Conference. She prepared pictures, papers, pencils and pens and even had a case for them to be carried in. The younger children sometimes had activities like finding the matching picture and name for the speaker on the screen or a picture to color. As the children got older, they began taking notes, glancing at mom's conference notebook to find the name or thought they had missed. Her children looked forward to General Conference because of that preparation--first for the activities and other fun things prepared, then the comraderie of recording notes with her and learning to listen to the messages the speakers shared. She understood the message of Luke 18:16: "But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God."

Now in my life, as I try to emulate the example of my mother in creating a positive conference atmosphere for my children, I have been finding it more of a challenge than I expect--she made it look so easy!

After the afternoon session ended last Sunday, I received an opportunity to speak today about the blessings of General Conference, especially for children. I admit, part of me immediately reflected on some of the challenges we had had and the many gaps in my notes where my attention was more on them than the speaker. But then, a reassurance came and helped me remember and begin to more fully realize and understand some of the blessings I had seen.

The next day, during Family Home Evening, I was able to listen as each child shared what they had gotten from the sessions of General Conference. I am so grateful for that opportunity. Our home was blessed by the peace the Spirit brings as they shared things they had felt and heard.

Some of the feelings they shared included joy, a calm that replaced the morning's frustrations, feeling the Spirit directing attention to messages about things to work on, and insight for a responsibility.

Among the messages they heard and shared were the following:
*foundation
*Do your duty, that is best; and to the Lord, leave the rest.
*Stop it!
*You need to be ready to use your priesthood (righteousness is needed to have the power of the priesthood)
*I am a Child of God.
*The value of an idea is in the using of it
*Easter
*...prepare a place for you in the mansions of my father.
*gifts of God
*Jesus!
*Why do we need to read the scriptures? Because they are important!

As I have pondered -my assignment for today, -the responses of my children during both Conference and Family Home Evening, and -as I have reflected on my own experiences, there are some specific blessings I have seen:
*Opportunity to develop the ability to listen.
With my youngest, it was recognizing sights (eyes, flowers, horses) that he could then identify to someone else. With my daughter, it has changed from being excited to hear a word she knew to being able to now record those words in her own notebook. As my boys (and I) have gotten older, it has progressed (and is still progressing) to hearing the messages and receiving inspiration and comfort during those messages and being able to better internalize what that means for us.
*Ability to see and learn how preparation level affects our ability to receive messages shared both through words and through the spirit.
Sleep level--if you don't sleep the night before, it's awfully hard to stay awake and hear the words, let alone the messages and feelings.
Things learned previously--During this conference, one child expressed excitement as she heard a scripture she had memorized, and was able to pay attention more easily at those points in time. Likewise, other children who had become familiar with verses or passages of scripture or with the ideas contained in the talk were able to gain additional insight from the words and scriptures shared.
Answers to questions--This year, the Primary leaders encouraged the children to think of a question they wanted to hear an answer to in General Conference, and the challenge was extended to the other members of our family. Our family was blessed by this council.
*Ability to have our testimonies strengthened.
During Conference, many testimonies of Christ are shared, and we have the chance to have the Spirit testify to us of the truth of those testimonies. We are also able to receive desired and sought after direction, comfort and strength and be strengthened by that evidence of Heavenly Father's love for us.
*Having this added 'oil in our lamps' is additionally valuable as the spirit can use the testimonies, comfort and direction we receive now again later in our lives when we face trials and discouragements, reminding us of the strength we had gained and the love Heavenly Father has for us.
*Our added strength individually becomes a resource for our family and for others who face struggles because we have more ability to lift where we stand.

Among the messages I heard last week were reminders of the importance of children, the need to put our priorities on seeking to build up our treasures in heaven, and a reminder that Heavenly Father has promised to help us--and He keeps His promises. I am seeing blessings in my home as my children have been learning the truth of these messages. I know children are blessed as they have opportunities to prepare for and hear the conference messages and I know we are all blessed by the faith of these children whose love for the Lord helps them (and us) to seek after and recognize the gospel truths when they are taught. I know I was blessed as a child to feel the peace and joy at conference as I learned to listen for the messages of encouragement and direction Heavenly Father had for me to hear there. As a mother, it is a delight to watch as my children discover these blessings and have their testimonies strengthened, find added peace, and receive messages Heavenly Father has to guide and encourage them.

I know our Heavenly Father loves us and wants us to be happy. I know that He has given us prophets and apostles to help guide us and direct us on our path back to His presence, and that he wants us to be happy. I am grateful for the sacrifice of his son, Jesus Christ, that makes that return possible, and the love that I am able to feel from them as I work to follow that path.

2 comments:

Grandma Beth said...

Thanks for the tribute--you make me cry "happy" tears. I am glad I did something worth emulating.

Ryan and Lori said...

A very insightful and truthful talk which I second, but which I haven't been able to put in words as well. I like the points of preparation you put in for getting the most out of conference...and the fact that they are learning not only to listen but to FEEL and recognize the Spirit as well. What a blessing your children have of learning from their great mother and father!